CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

A start...

Starting out with Kloster blocks and one lonely fly stitch tree on a curtain-to-be...

Starting over when you loose it all must be devastating. One blog I like to peruse often is Freshly Picked, and she has a great idea for the crafty folk out there: sewing pillowcase dresses for Haitian girls. She has drop off info for Utah, but I wonder if there would be a way to make some wherever I (or you) live and send them with other donations? Or maybe getting them all to Susan to drop off at the quilt shop that is organizing and helping? For me, I like this idea because as a stay-at-home-mama, I don't have much leftover cash to help, but I have a sewing machine and can whip up some pillowcase dresses (I think). Susan has a tutorial on her blog too if you don't have access to the book her dresses were featured in (thanks Susan). I like thinking good things as I make an item for the recipient, hoping it brings good stuff into their life and I hope to score some pillowcases this weekend either in the linen closet upstairs or in the discount stores around town. Oh, and since I have a boy Wee One, it gives me a chance to make a girly something for a change. So many positives I can't see not doing this!

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

That is just awesome! I've got to do a post on the hardanger paraments at our church - there's a set in each liturgical colour and a full set of white as well. It's apparently a Scandinavian art/craft and people come from all over the country to photograph our hardanger. I wish you all the best with yours - it looks so lovely!

Patricia said...

Thanks! I think my orderly Capricornian self likes it, it's not as difficult as it is something you need to pay attention to closely. That's cool that your church has so much of it there; was is completed by one person or several? I wonder if people used to get together to work on their individual pieces? I bet they are just beautiful.

Laura said...

that is such a great idea! i wish i knew how to sew! :)
blessings
~*~