CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reconstruction Junction


When I was pregnant, I bought some things super cheap at Old Navy. Like this dress for $3 that has been lounging around in my closet for over a year.

Now it doesn't look so bad lying on the table but trust me it was a mess. First, the size. I bought an XL because there were no other sizes and I thought I could make it work. Maybe had I been brave about alterations I could have; but if you look closely you will see what my meager attempt was to alter it--tie the straps in a knot to make them not so long. Thankfully, the bodice just didn't work, it was to the point of obscene. Which makes me wonder--why oh why, garment designers, do you think small thin straps will ever hold up a dress for someone who needs a bodice so large? Obviously they will be wearing a substantial undergarment underneath, especially if we are talking maternity wear. Hmm unless there are implants involved, then they will stay up by themselves I suppose...

Old Navy, I don't have to take it! I'm an all-natural girl and I will wear this dress and it will work and I won't even be pregnant when I do it.

Gathering up my courage (thanks again Marisa for the inspiration, you are amazing), I cut the entire bodice off.
The bodice pieces (lucky me the striped fabric was lined underneath with olive fabric) would become the new wider straps and the belt. The elasticized underbust would now become the top of the dress, worn over the bust and shortening the dress to a more flattering length for me.

Of course, I needed to bring the waist in and opted for a drawstring waistband. From the wrong side I folded down the fabric to create a little tube and sewed it all the way around.
It made a cute little casing for the drawstring.
The drawstring was cut in one continuous piece from the bodice lining, then pulled tight to create a rolled belt. Some of my cutting was not very even so some of the drawstring is a bit ragged; I would improve on this aspect if doing it over.

I then cut long pieces for straps from the bodice fabric, pinned the front in place and sewed, then had Nature Boy pin the back straps and sewed them.

And here you have it...a dress I will actually wear!


EDIT: JUST ADDED THIS POST TO TEA ROSE'S LINK PARTY--GO THERE NOW TO CHECK OUT ALL THE OTHER COOL THINGS PEOPLE HAVE MADE RECENTLY!

11 comments:

VeganCraftastic said...

Nice, it looks great on you!

Laura said...

so cute! :)

Kenny said...

Very nice.

Little Treasures said...

I like how you reconstructed it and it looks great on you!

affectioknit said...

Wow! You did a super job on that!

the thrifty ba said...

coming from tea house-GREAT JOB!

Aly said...

I love how this turned out!

Amber said...

What a great job. I just don't have this kind of vision when it comes to clothes.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Amber

CountryBelle said...

Nice job! I've tried to reconstruct a couple of items. Sometimes they just don't work out so well!
Thank you for commenting!!

Penny said...

Real cool summer dress !
Thanks for visiting my blog :)

shruti said...

love the dress! very cute! thanks for commenting on my blog! visit again..i'll keep having more stuff up :)